Pittosporum angustifolia is an Australian tree that used to be called Pittosporum Phylliraeoides, and is commonly known as Gumbi Gumbi or Gumby Gumby. It has long been used by the indigenous people as medicine, and as a treatment for cancer. There are many varieties of pittosporum but only one has these powerful medicinal properties. It has a yellow fruit with an edible seed, and the leaves can be consumed or made into tea. The leaves can also be used to make a salve or dried for capsules. A liquid extract can also be produced.
You will see salves, body washes and other gumby products that are made with petroleum by-products, alcohol and ingredients like propylene glycol and sorbolene. These are best avoided.
The Master Herbalist Writes…
Gumby gumby properties:
1. Anti-cancer – There have been many people who swear by Gumbi Gumbi as a cure for cancer. It has been used by the natives in Australia to cure cancer for hundred of years, so it does have a proven track record. It contains lots of powerful saponins that are helpful in curing cancer. And some people also use it in combination modern cancer therapies.
The University of Greifswald Research Centre in Berlin found that treating rats with Gumbi Gumbi leaf tea stimulated tumor necrosis factor production, thus killing cancer cells.
Some people with prostate and breast cancer found that Gumbi Gumbi worked better than traditional treatments without all the side effects.
And Gumbi Gumbi works well for all types of cancer.
2. Cholesterol – Gumbi Gumbi lowers triglycerides and cholesterol.
3. Immune Booster – Gumbi Gumbi contains tannins, saponins, alkaloids, phenolic compounds like that in green tea, cardiac glycosides, polysteroids, anthraquinones, triterpenoids, and flavonoids that work to boost the immune system, lower cholesterol, and help with cancer.
4. Antioxidant – Gumbi Gumbi is a powerful antioxidant that helps to prevent cancer, cardiovascular disease, and strokes.
5. Anti-Allergic – Gumbi Gumbi also helps those suffering from allergic reactions because of the powerful saponins, tannins, and flavonoids.
6. Anti-viral – Gumbi Gumbi attacks viral invaders helping to fend off viral microbes… such as colds, flues, and other viral diseases.
7. Antibacterial – Gumbi Gumbi has been shown in studies to kill E. coli, bacillis subtilis, staph, and micrococcus flavus bacteria.
8. Anti-fungal – Gumbi Gumbi also kills candida fungi.
9. Anti-inflammatory – Gumbi Gumbi is a powerful anti-inflammatory. And because most disease processes take over in the presence of inflammation… the anti-inflammatory abilities of Gumbi Gumbi can help disease.
10. Lowers Fevers – Gumbi Gumbi is also ant-pruritic thus helping to lower fevers.
11. Blood Pressure – Gumbi Gumbi also helps to regulate and lower blood pressure.
12. Powerful Detoxing Agent – Gumbi Gumbi also detoxes that blood and the entire body thus helping to prevent disease.
13. Circulation – Gumbi Gumbi also increases circulation thus helping to prevent cardiovascular events, angina, vascular problems of the legs, and other diseases.
14. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome – Gumbi Gumbi has also been used to treat Chronic Fatigue Syndrome with great success.
15. Arthritis – Gumbi Gumbi because of its powerful anti-inflammatory qualities is great for arthritis, joint pain, and other bone and joint diseases.
16. Skin Disease – Gumbi Gumbi has been shown to help with eczema, psoriasis, rashes, and other skin diseases including acne. It also promotes skin repair.
17. Emphysema – Gumbi Gumbi has also proven to be every effective in the treatment of emphysema.
18. Depression – And Gumbi Gumbi also seems to help those suffering from depression.
19. Autoimmune Disease – Gumbi Gumbi also works well for those who have autoimmune disease and related problems.
20. GI Tract – Because Gumbi Gumbi is very healing to all tissues it also helps with diverticulosis, IBS, cramps, and other GI diseases.
21. Meniere’s Disease – Gumbi Gumbi also helps those suffering from Meniere’s Disease which causes balance problems, vertigo, ringing in the ears, and hearing problems… this is one of the few treatments for this disease.
Dose – Most people make tea from the leaves, using 1 1/2 teaspoons of tea per quart of water… letting the leaves steep for 15 minutes. Keep the tea in the frig in a glass jar… and drink 120 to 150 mls of the tea daily.
Side Effects – So far there are no side effects or complications when taken with other medications.