Bloodroot Salve is a mixture of
By definition, an escharotic compound contains a botanical ingredient and a caustic. Escharotic compounds have been used for hundred of years, that we know of.
Zinc chloride is the safest and most effective caustic, as many doctors have attested. Its pH is not far enough from neutral to “burn a hole in your skin.” Always test on normal skin before applying to suspect area.
More recent additives that have improved its action:
- Chaparral (Larrea mexicata/tridentata)
- DMSO to increase transdermal transfer (to help it work under the skin)
- Galangal root (Alpinia officinarium)
- Graviola (Annona muricata)
- Glycerine (a humectant)
- Various other herbs are added by different manufacturers